History

Sigma Theta Tau International, Epsilon Gamma Chapter-at-LargeOur Past, Present & Future

Sigma Theta Tau International was founded in 1922 by six students at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses. The name Sigma Theta Tau (the initials of the Greek words Storga, Tharos, Tima — meaning Love, Courage, Honor) was chosen, and the society was chartered by the State of Indiana. The date of October 5 has been officially designated as the anniversary date for recognition of the founders of Sigma Theta Tau. From a beginning of six members and one chapter in 1922 the organization has grown to more than 100,000 members and 345 international chapters.

 

The Epsilon Gamma Chapter-at-Large includes 5 Colleges and Schools of Nursing located in the state of Kansas. The chapter was established as Epsilon Gamma Chapter in 1980 at Wichita State University and had 111 members. The organization was founded to advance the status of nursing as a profession. They recognized the value of scholarship and the importance of excellence in practice. In 1991, Epsilon Gamma became a Chapter-at-Large when Bethel College, Newman University, and Southwestern College joined, the chapter had 162 members. In 2007, Tabor College joined the chapter adding 14 members. The Epsilon Gamma Chapter-at-Large now has over 242 active members.

 

© 2018 Nursing Society Wichita.